13 Jan GATE Precast Lands 14 PCI Awards, Beats Company Best
The Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute will hand Gate Precast an unprecedented 14 awards at the 2021 PCI awards this spring.
JACKSONVILLE, FL, January 13, 2021 – Gate Precast achieved a company best during this year’s Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute Design Awards, earning nine “Best in Class” wins, two special designations and three honorable mentions.
The most in the company’s history, the awards will be presented at the conclusion of PCI’s 59th annual ceremony in spring 2021. The awards provide PCI an opportunity to recognize precast projects across North America for excellence in design in both transportation and building categories. A panel of judges singled out projects that push the envelope, overcome challenges and improve concepts.
“This year’s winning projects exemplify the increasing versatility of precast and its growing diversity of uses,” says Dean Gwin, president & COO, Gate Construction Materials Group. “Of course, our success is tied closely to the creative designers and owners who consistently push the envelope. We are truly honored to be recognized by PCI.”
Gate will also receive honorable mention for the prestigious Harry H. Edwards Industry Advancement Award for its work at One South First in Brooklyn, NY. The special award showcases fresh, uninhibited concepts that move the industry to the next generation of technology. Produced at Gate’s Winchester, KY and Oxford, NC plants and designed by COOKFOX, the project also garnered “Best in Category” honors in the Best Mixed Use category.
In other special recognition, Gate’s New Bed Tower project at Texas Health Frisco in Frisco, TX, received honorable mention in Sustainable Design, as well as Best Healthcare/Medical honors. The project was produced at Gate’s Hillsboro, TX, plant and designed by HKS Inc.
Other Gate projects receiving “best in category” honors include:
- The Peyton House and Ocean House, Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL – Best Hotel/Motel: Gate Plants: Jacksonville, FL and Kissimmee, FL; Architect: Architectural Design & Planning Group
- Peabody Plaza, Nashville, TN – Best Office Building: Gate Plants: Ashland City, TN and Winchester, KY; Architect: Hastings Architecture
- DC Blox, Birmingham, AL – Best Data Center: Gate Plant: Monroeville, AL; Architect: Pieper O’Brien Herr Architects
- George Catholic Church, Baton Rouge, LA – Best Religious: Gate Plant: Monroeville, AL; Architect: Grace Hebert Curtis Architects
- Churchill Downs Colonnade and Infield Gate, Louisville, KY – Best Custom Solutions: Gate Plant: Winchester, KY; Architect: Hastings Populous
- Nordstrom NYC Flagship, New York, NY – Best Retail: Gate Plant: Ashland City, TN; Architect: CallisonRTKL
- University of Alabama Parking Deck, Tuscaloosa, AL – Best Parking Structure (Façade Only): Gate Plant: Monroeville, AL; Architect: Evan Terry Associates LLC
Gate landed three honorable mentions as well, including:
- Nathan Deal Judicial Center, Atlanta, GA – Government and Public Buildings: Gate Plant: Monroeville, AL; Architect: Stevens & Wilkinson; Robert A.M. Stern Architects LLP
- Moss Johns Residence Halls, Farmville, VA – Higher Education/University: Gate Plant: Oxford, NC; Architect: Little
- Stormwater Outfalls, Three Locations, Biloxi, MS – Custom Solutions: Gate Plant: Monroeville, AL; Architect: Dale Partners